Information MenuBooking Conditions
What Is Included In Your Cottage
Dogs on Holiday
For the Kids
Weddings and Parties
Pampering and Massages
Things To Do On-Site
Things To Do Nearby
Shotley Peninsula Tours
Beaches And Water Sports
What's On 2017
Fairfields Farm Crisps
Quality Assessment Report
Twilight at Pin Mill
Join Our Mailing ListKeep up to date with any special offers, late availability and cancellations by joining our free mailing list.
Orwell View Barns Holiday Cottages Information
Orwell View Barns consists of 3 self-catering barn conversions set in an idyllic location away from our working arable farm. All properties have exposed brickwork, vaulted ceilings, beams and stunning views of the river Orwell. They are all on one floor only, although some have steps. More detail is provided in this statement, in which we have tried to provide as much information as possible to help you when planning your stay. All properties are non-smoking and one well behaved dog is allowed, by prior arrangement. Assistance dogs are welcomed. We can provide dog bedding, towels, drinking bowls, a kennel and even some dog food if you forget yours! So please do ask as we have dogs too and will he happy to assist. If you have any more queries, do not hesitate to email or call.
If you have any more queries or require assistance please do not hesitate to email or call. 01473788497 or Hazel's mobile 07887941921 We look forward to welcoming you..
- We have a website www.orwellviewbarns.co.uk and are also listed with FarmStayUK and Premier Cottages, Visit Suffolk and Heart of Suffolk and several other sites.
- Bookings / enquiries can be made on line through our own website, by email or telephone and through the Farm Stay UK and *Premier Cottages websites. Please see our Terms and Conditions.
- The barns are in an idyllic situation with views over our marshes and across the River Orwell.
- Orwell View Barns is in an unused farmyard separate from our working arable farm.
- There is a limited rural bus service providing for the Shotley Peninsula and this stops 1 1/3 miles away from the property at the top of Wades Lane.
- The nearest train station is Ipswich (6 miles), which links to mainline Norwich and London stations.
- Taxi telephone numbers are provided and the local taxi service will pick up and drop off from the property.
- If guests wish to arrange a supermarket delivery, we can arrange for unloading of the provisions Please arrange for the delivery in the second part of the afternoon of your arrival day. Tesco's, Sainsbury's and Waitrose all deliver here and please give Hazel's mobile 07887941921 as the contact reference. Or you can make an order directly with Hollingsworths shop in Chelmondiston (Tel: 01473 780225) and collect on your way through or ask them to deliver. Also you can place an order with the Suffolk Food Hall, just by the Orwell Bridge www.suffolkfoodhall.co.uk). Please contact us with any requirements.
The nearest shopmobility is located inside the Buttermarket Shopping Centre on the Lower Ground Level. When arriving by car use the Falcon Street entrance to the Buttermarket Car Park. Ipswich Shopmobility, Buttermarket Shopping Centre. Lower Ground Level, St Stephen's Lane, Ipswich IP1 1DT. And call 01473 222225 before travelling if the weather is bad to ensure they are open.
*Our brochure and access statement are available in larger print on request
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- Luggage can be unloaded at the front of the properties via the courtyard (and also at the side of Butterfly).
- There is ample parking for cars at the front of the courtyard, close to all the properties.
- For arrivals at Cygnet cottage. From the centre of the parking area it is approximately 8 metres to the front door of Cygnet.
- Cygnet also has a ramped access (113 cm wide/44.45 inches) to its deck and rear terrace door.
- A handrail (on the outside ramp edge at 90 cm height/35.5 inches)) is provided. The ramp is 500 cm/195 inches long with a 1:12 gradient to the rear terrace door.
- Entrances are all paved pathways with small steps across the threshold of Butterfly and Primrose. The entrance to Cygnet is paved with no step on entrance. Both Cygnet and Primrose have rear entrances onto wooden decking with one step down 20cm/8 inches.. (There is a portable ramp provided) Butterfly has an exit including 2 steps up into the terraced and garden area 20-cm/8 inches and 22cm/8.75 inches high.
- The main entrances into Butterfly and Primrose are slate hallways 93 cm/36.5 inches wide in Butterfly and 98 cm/38.5 inches wide in Primrose -, both have wooden stable styled doors on entrance these are 118cm/46.5 inches wide. . Cygnet has a single glass panelled door 86 cms/34 inches wide which enters into a tiled entrance hallway. The step at the threshold is 18cm/7 inches high.
*Reception is located at Hill House house (the B&B), where you will be directed to Orwell View Barns.
- The door handles are lever lock
- There is ample free space in all properties for clear access.
- The decking at the rear of Primrose and Cygnet extends between both units is divided into two sections so each unit has a private decking area. However should guests be in a group the division can be removed.
- The Games room situated in an unconverted barn, is open for use to all guests of Orwell View Barns and has level access to a concrete floor.
We have a green outside stand alone loo block which has 2 steps up. If you require this facility plase ask Hazel. it is used by schools visiting and for weddings, who are required to book all the cottages.
Kitchen / Dining Room
- The living area is open plan in all properties with combined living, dining and kitchen areas all clearly defined.
- All dining tables are wooden with sturdy legs on each corner.
- Free space is available around all tables.
- Chairs in Primrose have rush woven seats and are all moveable, as are the wooden chairs in Cygnet and Butterfly. There are further bar stools in Primrose against the breakfast bar in the kitchen area.
- All flooring is fully tiled in kitchen and living areas.
- The lounge seating area has moveable furniture with fabric loose cover sofas.
- In all units have Free-Sat LCD TV's with remote controls and DVD/CD players also with remote controls. Primrose and Cygnet also have moveable I-pod / radio / clock alarm docking stations in the living areas (Butterfly's is located in the main bedroom).
*We can provide dark table cloths with our white china. Please ask
Butterfly steps out of living area - 2 steps at 20 & 22 cms (8 & 8.75 inches) high but there is an internal grab rail. The external step height from the terrace back to Butterfly is 18 cm/7 inches.
Primrose Steps down to living area - 2 steps down from the hall to the kitchen. There is no grab rail (impossible to install to be able to use).
Cygnet Wet Room
The large wet room has a power shower and there is a plastic chair with a back but no arms, to use in the shower. There is a toilet frame available. There are grab rails in the shower room in the positions which were deemed suitable b the Assessor. There is non-slip flooring.
- There is no separate laundry, but a washer/dryer front loading machine can be found in the kitchen of every property. * Each property is also furnished with outdoor washing lines and indoor clothes racks.
- There is no shop available on site.
- Local produce and farm shops are available in nearby villages less than 3 miles away.
- A grass area for outside games and entertainment is found at the rear of the games room and has free access for all guests.
- A games room is available in an barn, heated by our biomass boiler, with pool, table tennis and air hockey tables. Entry is from the gravel car park through double barn doors with level access onto a level concrete floor.
- A luxury, shared 6 seater, outdoor hot tub also heated sustainably by our biomass boiler has level access..
- Many on farm walks are available - and cycles are available to borrow. Please see folder on walking and cycling on arrival.
- Metal Detecting is available on the farm for an additional charge. This is subject to the Treasure Trove rules. Please bring your own metal detector.
- Please see above.
- Many on farm and local area walks are available, please see maps on arrival which can be found in your information and walking folders.
Conference & Meeting Rooms, Banqueting
As above in the games room.
Bedrooms & Sleeping Areas
- All bedrooms are furnished with double or single luxurious Mansion House 6'3/190cms beds. The mattresses are Hotel Diplomat 1600 tufted using 2x800 count double stacked pocket spring units set on a divan base. The headboards are upholstered.
- Primrose has 1 double room and 1 triple room with 3 single beds. Cygnet has 1 double room and 1 double sofa bed. Butterfly has 2 double rooms and 1 twin room. All beds can be converted into singles or doubles on request.
- Non feather duvets and pillows are provided in each room.
- Sheets, duvet covers and pillow cases are poly-cotton.
- All bedrooms have thermostatically controlled under-floor heating and fully opening windows.
- All windows have curtains or blinds.
- All bedrooms are carpeted
- Cygnet bedroom wardrobe has the ability to have a lower hanging rail to aid wheelchair users
- Colour contrasting bedlinen can be arranged for the visually impaired. Please ask.
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC [Ensuite or Shared]
- Ensuite shower rooms with W.C. and washbasin from all double rooms. Tiled floors and walls to dado height.
- Family bathrooms with bath and shower mixer taps, W.C. and washbasin. Tiled floors and walls to dado height.
- Good contrast in floor, tiles and sanitary wear.
- Mirrors in all bathrooms and shower rooms are fitted with Demista mirror pads to prevent steaming up.
- All bathrooms and shower rooms have electric towel radiators set to come on twice daily for warm, dry towels.
- The taps are lever not twist.
- Tap limitors and Jetstream shower heads are fitted in line with our green standards.
- Butterfly shower trays are 15cm/6inches and 9 cm/3.5 inches high.
- Primrose shower tray is 9cm/3.5 inches high
- All floors in kitchen areas are tiled. .
- Dual fuel Range cookers with double oven and 8 gas hob in Butterfly & Primrose. Double oven and gas hob in Cygnet.
- Fridge/freezers and integrated dishwashers in all units.
- Fully automatic integrated washer/dryer machine, front loading in all units.
- Large cutlery drawers with utensils.
- Good contrast between floors and units.
- Granite work tops in Butterfly and Primrose. Oak worktops in Cygnet
- Microwave oven, electric kettle, sandwich toaster, slow cooker, hand mixer in all units.
- Breadmakers in Butterfly and Primrose.
- Combi microwave in Cygnet.
- Fire extinguisher and fire blanket.
- Breakfast bars with stools in Primrose.
- Fully fitted kitchens to high specification.
- Microwave oven, electric kettle, coffee maker, toaster, sandwich and blenders.
Grounds and Gardens
- Each unit has its own terrace with sturdy garden furniture and barbeque and parasols.
- Butterfly and Primrose have private grassed gardens.
- The courtyard is gravel with paved slabbed pathways and seating.
- Large grass area for recreation to rear of games room.
- Large grass field below Primrose & Cygnet for recreation with river view
Primrose & Cygnet each have a deck area with a divide between the two areas. The step down measures 8 inches/20cms but this is to be improved in early 2015. (A ramp is available for Cygnet cottage)
- There is an undercover area with lightin next to Butterfly for outside eating.
- A stand alone outside 2 x 2 toilet block. This has steps up and is not suitable for those with mobility issues. Those visitors/guests would need to use a loo on the ground floor in one of the cottages
- A marquee/tipi reception site for up to 7 events per year with water supply and plenty of outside electric sockets
- An A-Z of information is available in information folders in size 14 font, which can be increased on request.
- Light switches and power points are at a sensible height to reach from sitting and standing positions.
- Good mobile phone reception.
- We are at the end of a 1.3 mile lane and Wi-fi access is generally good in all properties but please bear in mind that we are not in central London and you may sometimes have to be patient connecting to the internet.
Address: Orwell View Barns, Hill House Farm, Wades Lane, Shotley, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP9 1EW
Telephone: Telephone 01473788497, Mobile 07887941921, Fax: 01473787111
Email: via our website
Website: www.orwellviewbarns.co.uk - self catering units
www.wrinchfarmstay.co.uk - bed and breakfast at the farmhouse.
Grid reference: TM 238368
Hours of operation: Open all year and at any time, answer phone facility in place and a return call to you at the earliest convenience.
Emergency number: Please refer to the A-Z of Useful Information Document found in your barn.
Local carers: Ultimate Care UK Ltd, Unit 1, Manor Farm Business Centre, Manor Lane, Stutton, Ipswich, Suffolk, Tel: 01473 327005
Suffolk Carers Ltd, Unit 9, Hill View Park, Old Ipswich Road, Claydon, Ipswich, Suffolk. Tel: 01473 835400
Local equipment hire companies: Felgains 33, Knightsdale Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 4JJ Tel: 01473 741144
The Assisted Living division offers a product portfolio built up and designed to supply the general public with products to assist with daily living. These products are displayed and sold through the showroom to ensure the elderly population can remain as independent as possible.
East Suffolk Association for the Blind
Address: Mallard House Business Centre, The Old Station, Little Bealings, Woodbridge, Suffolk, IP13 6LT
Opening Times: The central office is open from 9am to 1pm Monday to Thursday and all the local Community Workers can be contacted on their respective help lines during normal office hours
Local public transport numbers:
Ipswich Train Station, Burrell Road, Ipswich, IP2 8AL. 0845 600 7245
Head office & Depot 01473 232600
Timetable enquiries 0800 919390
Local accessible taxi numbers:
Orwell Cars serves Shotley and surrounding area. 07887 877300 Can organise local pick-ups and drop offs with more than 6 hours notice.
David Good Taxi Service. Airport Specialist Tel: Home 01473 462854 Mob: 07778 106449 E:email@example.com
Avenue Taxis: 01473 407070
Hawk Express 01473 222222 www.hawkexpresscabs.co.uk
- Improve the wi-fi access - ongoing!
- Improve the outside lighting to reduce consumption (Jan 2018)
- Continue to replace light bulbs with LED where possible £400 spent in Nov 2016
Contact Telephone and Email Address
We welcome your feedback to help us continually improve if you have any comments please phone 01473 788497 or email us via our website
Updated January 2017